Friday 23 May 2008

I love my life!

Wow, two and a bit weeks in to my Aussie trip and life is great! My health is perfect (apart from the obvious, of which there is no evidence at the moment): I have no pain or any symptoms other than being follicly-challenged, I am enjoying wonderful company wherever I go, I have lots of energy and when presenting and workshopping I feel as sharp as ever.

Of course, I assumed I'd have loads of time to blog and give daily updates of where I was and what I was doing. But you know me better than that by now. So mini-highlights (here's some photos ) are:
  • Hong Kong stopover, bought a made-to-measure suit (my first), and then succumbed to the upsell for a sports jacket and two shirts. But to be fair to myself, the tailor did give me a very special price.

  • Brisbane conference for the splendid Principa Alliance, a great buzz and a more friendly and decent bunch of people you could not meet.

  • ALPMA QLD had me back from a talk on knowledge management - a fundamental but misunderstood element of intellectual capital. Knowledge transfer and sharing took place!

  • The other main speaker at Principa was Dr Paddi Lund, the mad (self-confessed) dentist. On the way to a relaxing few days at Lennox Heads, we visited Paddi's practice and were royally entertained - it was as if we were clients.

  • My first facial at the exclusive Gaia resort. It is co-owned by Olivia Newton-John but she didn't do my facial; clearly understanding the idea that owning a business doesn't mean you have to do the work the business does. This whole indulge-yourself-facial-thing was NOT my idea, but I have always said take opportunities in life as they present (and believe it even more now). I hereby publicly thank Kerry Payne for this, er, opportunity. I always take loads of pictures and videos and have loads to show you, but me having a facial will not be featuring. The interview I did with Ric will be released in time for next year's Oscars.

  • Melbourne and enjoying again the superlative hospitality of Karen and John Chisholm and family. Apart from being the best-connected consultant to professional firms, John was kind and generous enough to organise a dinner for friends I have made in Melbourne. The most special guest there - they will excuse me for saying this - was Nathan Dorembus, who was one of the standout nurses in my first few months at the Marsden, now returned to his native Melbourne and working at the Marsden-esque Peter Mac hospital. I've made no secret of my admiration and gratitude to these devoted skilled, yet underpaid, lifesavers, so I was happy to fĂȘte Nathan for his personal contribution to my well-being and as representative of all those medics who have got me back to where I want to be.

  • Melbourne events have been fun. Both in-firm and for ALPMA, who were good enough to pay $1,000 to Cancer Council of Australia by way of a thank you.

  • Adelaide - my first visit and met up with Kain C+C, a firm that are not a client of mine but continue to impress me from afar. Also some in-firm work and presented to ALPMA (SA), as well as a major accounting firm conference.

  • Melbourne again and after watching the footy (Go Monders!) and met up with some former swimmers from Halliwick Penguins that I used to teach swimming, now re-settled in Victoria. Wonderful to roll back the miles and the years!

Now for a couple of days R & R at Point Lonsdale and then off to Sydney for the last four days before flying home. I'll tell you how it went, but if it's anything like my past two weeks, expect me to say I loved every minute of it!

The single improvement I would wish for would be if Daniela were with me. (Oh, and all my children of course. Sorry!) Her school have been very understanding and accommodating in the past year but it's exam time in the UK, and we all know how important that is.

My love to all. Take (make?) the opportunities life presents to you.

As they probably say here: Carpe G'Day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

It sounds like a fantastic trip and it is great that you are feeling (and looking) so good. I loved the photos and thought the inscription on the clock just about says it all.

It was especially good to see the picture of your get-together with Pat, Cassice, Gloria and Helen. We do miss the 'old penguins' and it is good to know that there is life after Halliwick.

Looking forward to seeing you when you get back - though the Penguins are coping without you (just)!

Love, Wendy, John and Martin.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

Its great to see you looking so well and feeling great!

Hope your trip continues to inspire you and wish you a safe journey home..back to the limey's who miss you.

Gordon & Kim xx

Mc Donnell's eire said...

...Thanks for giving us this post Paul.Thanks for time shared together [& it is another real boost to see you reach yet another peak]. Consciously loving you daily mate.Keep that all clear going & we'll be right too! Mum,Ann Marie & Catherinexxxx...

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you back with us at Halliwick last Saturday- looking so well.
The photos were interesting and good to see the "old" Halliwick members again. Things ain't like they used to be! I'll be talking to them when I am in Sydney in 2 weeks time.
Love Eva

Tim said...

Paul, Glad to hear you are doing so well.

Tim McKey