Thursday 24 April 2008

Just another day?

24 April is a significant date for me. Well it is as of 2007, as that was the day the pain in the side (which I had confidently self-diagnosed as kidney stones) was diagnosed by someone who knows about medicine as advanced cancer with metastases in the liver. On this first anniversary, I had planned to write about what had learned in this past year and maybe to reflect on life and death as I now saw it. But yesterday, 23 April 2008 became another significant date. Yesterday my dear mother died.

Dympna, or "Dimps" was 86 (last week actually) and had a fruitful and giving life. She had five loving children and 11 grandchildren. She always had a welcome for her extensive family and equally extensive circle of friends. The door was always open and the kettle always on; I bet at this moment she's going round Heaven with a huge plate of sandwiches. At the time of my father's death two years ago (after 61 years of marriage) I noted that for them the traditional Irish greeting of Céad Mile Fáilte - a hundred thousand welcomes - seemed not so much a quaint Irish exaggeration as a target!

I know everyone thinks their mother the best, as they should, but I was humbled the past couple of weeks when she was unwell and we spent a lot of time together. She was always, always, so grateful for any little thing we did and trying to shoo us away to go back to our own home and not be bothering with her. She honestly didn't get it that after a lifetime of serving others, that she was entitled to have things done for her and that it was an honour for us to make some small attempt at payback.

She suffered with her health for many years in many ways, and after a real scare two weeks ago, seemed well on the road to recovery and we had a fun weekend together. But on Monday she had a massive cranial bleed and never regained consciousness. She just slipped away peacefully last night. We had a chance to say our goodbyes and were grateful for her peaceful passing.

Her funeral is Friday 2 May at 10am at her church for the past 40 years Our Lady of Lourdes, London N11, preceded by a reception into the church the previous evening at 5pm. Dimps will be mourned and missed by a great number of family and friends, but her funeral will surely be a celebration. Not just because of her unswerving conviction in her Catholic faith and the joy of reuniting with Dad and her daughter Clare, who died tragically early of cancer aged 51. Certainly Mum had her adversities tragedies and hardships, but we all have the consolation of a life of service and devotion, great companionship, laughter and - I hope she sees it as we all do - that she left this world better than she found it.

Rest in peace Mum, and thank you so much.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

DEAR PAUL
WHAT A LOVELY TRIBUTE TO DEAR AUNT DYMPNA. I WILL ALWAYS HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF HER AS BEING SO LOVING,GREAT FUN AND SO KIND TO EVERYONE. IT WAS A HONOUR TO HAVE HER AS OUR AUNT , WE WILL MISS HER GREATLY. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO TONY KEVIN ED AND ALL THE FAMILY
LOVE ANNE (CORRIGAN)

Anonymous said...

Very well said Paul.
The much-exclaimed phrase during visits to 1 Melbourne Avenue of "Sit down Dimps, and have some yourself!" reflected her amazing hospitality.
Her's and Papa's quick wit amazed me too. Their speedy, sharp exchanges always made me laugh. It's nice thinking that they're at it again now.
Love you lots Nana, rest your creaky knees,
Andy xxx

Unknown said...

Hey trouble!
I'm so so sorry to read about your mum...such lovely words to describe her.
Thinking of you and your family x x
Annie

Your favourite marsden nurse!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
We're very sorry to hear that Dympna died. She was a great woman. She was alway clever, funny and hugely engaging. Like your Dad, one of a remarkable generation who made us what we are today. God bless Dympna and Tony.
May they rest in peace.
Love to all the family.
Alan McGinley

M Golden said...

Dear Paul, I'm so touched by your description of your mum. She sounds like a very special lady and she clearly left the world a better place for you and yours being in it. Now I know from where your own hospitality originates (Hmmm, but would she have pulled the ol' "I don't have my wallet" trick at the pub to get me to buy her an ale? Nevermind, I'd have been glad to!)

Love to you and the family,
michelle in mo

Bernard McGinley said...

Dear Paul: the news was saddening, and the world will seem a different place without the prospect of Dympna and a chat over a cup of tea. She was a bright and kind woman who will be exceptionally missed.
Sympathy to all the family.
Bernard McGinley

Anonymous said...

Paul,

So sorry to hear of Dympna's death. She was such a positive and authenic woman. She welcomed us McGinley's to our new life in London nearly 50 years ago with cheery words and the ever full tea pot. I remember the last time I spoke to her on the phone - a few weeks after your Dad's death - it was heartbreaking to her the sadness in her voice but it was the only time in all the time I knew her when she was not ready with a wry quip. What a positive presence. A fine woman and a life well lived.

Condolences and love to all your family

Liam McGinley

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

I'm so sorry to hear your news. Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Love Teresa, Mario, Andre & Mia xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mum,Our thoughts are with you all and prayers will be said at Ascension mass on Thurs
Chris,david and children

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Mum Paul. I hope things went well for the funeral and it was indeed a celebration of what sounds like a great life.

If I don't see /speak to you hope you have a great trip in the land of Vegemite

Richardson clan send regards to you and yours

Jamie x

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul
I only knew your Mum on the phone, when I left messages for Edward. I could hear in her voice that she was a lovely, welcoming lady.
My very deepest sympathy to you and all the family.
The knowledge that she is now happy and safe with your Dad will help you at this time
Have a great time in Aussie.
I'll be there mid-June!
My thoughts & best wishes
Eva

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I was very sorry to hear about your mother. My mum heard the day after the funeral otherwise we'd have been there. My mum has many fond memories of both your parents and their kindness to her when she first moved to North London.

Glad to hear about your all clear.

Brendan

Unknown said...

Hi Paul,

Long time no see (20 years?). Saw you on TV when the Marsden caught fire, so googled and found your blog. Been meaning to get in touch.

Just wanted to wish you well with all this stuff that's happening, you always had a great sense of humour and balance (and good taste in music). Hope things get better for you very soon.

I'm still in touch with some of the Ignatius lot (John W, Chris A, Marius).

I'm usually at gregswalsh@yahoo.co.uk if you'd like some more news.

Best Wishes,

Greg.

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul!! Just wanted to know how you where doing!!!!

Hope you keep getting better.

All my love to the family.

Mariana