Tuesday 30 October 2007

Put Me Back On My Bike..

.. were the reputed last words of Tom Simpson, British racing cyclist who died 40 years ago on Mount Ventoux. He was quite out of his mind of course, but you know how obsessive people can be about doing what they love.

I've just come back from Las Vegas where I spent a deliriously happy (for me, at least) few hours on stage and many hours meeting / talking to /at the fine accountants of the Principa Alliance. Utter bliss. Las Vegas the city did nothing for me at all, but the opportunity to get back presenting for the first time since March was irresistible. It went really well, so much so that I've been invited to go and repeat the performance for the Australian Principa conference in Brisbane next May. From Las Vegas to Bris Vegas, something to shoot at. I'm grateful to Ric and Kerry Payne who took a gamble on me to be there and let me "get back on my bike".

I was there with Paul Kennedy who did most of the presenting and kept checking on me that I wasn't overdoing things. Daniela was very supportive and understanding, although obviously apprehensive. As part of our ongoing celebration of our 20th year as O'Byrne and Kennedy, we took a 3 hour helicopter flight to the Grand Canyon; that WAS impressive! Also while in Las Vegas, we met up with our fellow fellows from the VeraSage Institute for a two day meeting - the first time we had all met up, even though we've been collaborating by email for ages. Very neat.

Medically, I've been outstandingly well for 3 weeks. Helped by the fact I've had a lay off from treatment, and that I received two units of blood before I went. I have said before how impressed I am with the medical team, nursing and doctoring. What I especially like is that they work to help me actually DO things, I'm not just a bundle of symptoms to lay there and take what treatment they prescribe. They've all been very conscious of my desire to talk at the Vegas conference and worked to get me there. They all share the view that they're treating me so I can live my life, so it seems only right that I should do so!

Usually when I start to feel well, that means it's soon time to go back in for four days of chemo. I had thought I might have had more of a layoff, but the experts said "it's working, let's keep going", so tomorrow, 31 Oct, I start the new regime which is hopefully less hard on my system. This regime has 8 sets - so that takes me through to the end of March 2008. I've had tests for my kidney and heart function yesterday and - wait for it - a CT scan tomorrow. Trying not to hope for too much from that, but can't help feel the others have been great psychological boosts. We travel hopefully. And travel is good for you!

Carpe all that you can, and when you find people who will back you, treasure them.

Paul

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

Great to hear you were 'back in harness' last week, and what a wonderful trip! I have to say that the Grand Canyon is top of the wish list for John and myself - but obviously not a possibility for us currently.

You looked so well, and seemed in such good spirits at swimming last Saturday - it was great to have you back in charge again.

Good luck for today, we are thinking of you.

Best wishes,
Wendy, John and Martin.

Unknown said...

How's my padre doing??? I can't tell you how happy I am for youw!!!

every they I check your page, hopping to hear more great news about your recovering. And of course, to find out what you and the rest of the family have been doing this days.

Here in Argentina we are all very well. We have just elected new presidentto start the new period in december. Sadly, at least for now, Cristina Kirchner, the presidents wife, the first lady, was elected for most of the population, 45% of the votes, so it seems we are going to have a female comander in cheef. We'll have to wait, won't we?

I am very happy to know you keep getting better everyday and also the positives thougths. Here we pray for you, and remember you always.

Love you lots!

Mariana and family

Anonymous said...

Keep on keeping on mate. But please do something about that bald head. The big wig would be a good choice, it does you wonders.

Over and out
John

Mc Donnell's eire said...

Greetings Paul and well done on the working trip.Though you are just 50 .. doing the old and the familiar is good for us all we find.
All the families are asking after you Paul, any & everytime we get together..we love you every much.

P.S. thankyou for the G.C.photo.
it is one of our favourites!
The scan will be good to see but the fact is ..that you are certainly getting around the obstical course this illness set before you.. Everyone is on your side and you're getting there.. easier times soon Paul. You & Daniella & family are very dear to us and we are thinking of you.
until next time,fight on!
Mary, Ann marie & Catherine xx,

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

Its great to see you`re doing so well!! You and Daniella and family are constantly in my prayers.I`m thrilled by your progress.

Much love to everyone

Danuta

Anonymous said...

Proud to call you dad!

Positive thinking all the way.

Luke x

Unknown said...

Hello!!!!!! How is everything over there???? Are you again having treatment this week????

Just wanted to know how you were. Please give everyone at home a big hug for me.

Love you lots!!!!

Mariana

Anonymous said...

Well written article.