Thursday 18 October 2007

Another celebration

Hot on the heels of my Fiftieth - thank you all for the good wishes and cards - last Saturday we celebrated the 20th birthday of the firm O'Byrne and Kennedy, Chartered Accountants. I'm very grateful to all who made it a true celebration and a great party. The world has changed in 20 years and the firm certainly has, too. It's in great shape and has the team and the clients to do more challenging things in the future.

Medically, I am very well. My white blood cell count bounced back from diddly squat to normal on its own (I know some of you like it when I talk scientific), but my platelets and haemoglobin are low. I'm writing this while having two units of red cells infused - thank you to two more blood donors!

I finished the last of my six scheduled chemos a couple of weeks ago and the medics suggested I'd have a bit of a break before they decided what to do next. Maybe surgery to remove my useless kidney and the tumour on it, maybe some radiotherapy to "consolidate"?

In the event, they decided it's all going so well, we should carry on with the chemo. So, Wednesday 31 October I'm back in for a new regimen which will involve two sets of infusions and an overnight stay. That will be repeated every 3 weeks for 8 cycles.

I'll be around a while yet, carpe diem!

Paul

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations for the 20 th birthday!!!!

Its sooo great to hear you are doing better this days.

Good luck for the rest of your chemo sesions.

Love you, Mariana.

P/S: big kiss to the rest of the family

Anonymous said...

More brilliant news there! Really glad. Sorry not been able to see y'all recently. Look forward to catching up at Christmas. Hope you're having a brilliant "working" trip in Las Vegas - I have my suspicions about that....
are you being contracted as a bouncer at caesar's palace?!
much love from Bath,
Andy

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I am so happy to hear that you are doing better. You have been in our thoughts here at Franke & Shields and we miss you very much. I hope that we will have an opportunity to all come together and celebrate your good health. I know we would all love nothing better.

Cheers to you! Marlene

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, so glad to hear treatment is working! Thinking of you and praying for you lots. Love to you all. Congrats and well done on your 20th anniversary!
Danuta x

Anonymous said...

Paul
Saw Paul K a few weeks back who told me what had happened and feel bad that I didn't call to check up on you before now. I see you are dealing with this in the same way I've seen you (from a distance) deal with other things in life - with good humour and positivity. I believe and very much hope these things will count for a lot when it comes to nature. Wish you well
Jeff Hartstone

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, continuing to keep you in mind from a distance ("over the hill" in Harrow!). Brilliant news about your diminishing tumours... I think they're running scared of your positive fighting spirit!
Must be honest, the wig doesn't suit you - not enough grey hairs for a 50-year old XXX!!Hey join the club!

If you run that marathon next year I'll sponsor you. Well done to your friends who have decided to donate blood. I'm not accepted for donation these days owing to my bypass, exactly why that should affect things I've forgotten - maybe becos of the tablets I'm on?

Best wishes and prayers for your continued success in the cycles ahead.

John C (C=Codger!)