Tuesday 31 July 2007

Unalloyed good news...

The CT scan results are in - and they show fantastic progress. From the start of chemo treatment to two weeks after chemo cycle 2,the tumour on my kidney, and the lesions in my liver have all shrunk 1/3 - one third - in length. On the pictures, you can see they are now 1/2 the total area they were (you do the maths - or math if in USA).

The doctors were cock-a-hoop and congratulated me. I congratulated them and the nurses - it seemed to me they did the clever work. They printed out the report for me with all the measurements (pictures are on the blog page). I have to admit that I didn't know the liver lesions were so large. Five weeks ago the largest one was 10.5 x 7.8 cm, the size now of my "big" tumour on the left kidney. Anyway it's half the size now, and I know from the blood tests last week that my liver functions - that were worryingly low - have improved.

The only little disappointment I have now seems trivial, perhaps. Having lost 30 pounds (13kg) and my hair I realised I had the Body Mass Index AND look of a potential 7 times winner of the Tour de France. (Pics to prove it). But I then remembered that I've told loads of you that I'm taking drugs and having transfusions. Having been able to watch the 2007 Tour unfold, it appears this now frowned on. Oh well, I was only of moderate enthusiasm and less talents. Even when I discovered triathlon and thought "Great - I cycle,run and swim" I found my mediocrity in all three disciplines placed me in the bottom 10 per cent of all races. I promise you those were not drug-enhanced performances.

Some drugs are good however, and I am undergoing cycle 3 with something approaching enthusiasm.

Some of you have asked for my email, rather than posting comments on the blog. I get a lot of spam so to avoid automatic pickups of email addresses, please interpret "blog a t paulobyrne.com". Thanks again for the messages and emails, even when you have nothing to say but "thinking of you" (but I enjoy the reminiscences, too). These together with ever-attentive support of Daniela and the family make it all easily tolerable.

Paul

17 comments:

Unknown said...

you really look like Lance!!!!
You look quite diferent than I remember, must be the pounds you've lost!!!!! or Kg for me!!!!
Laura does look amazing in the picture and bright nad smart as she is.... please whenever you talk to her, give her my congrats and tell her i am really happy for her and for all of you of course!!!! I hope you and her got my emails.....
With all my love
P/D: this will all be a story to tell in the future, when you have your hear back and visit me in Argentina

EdK said...

Once I heard a cyclist from France argue that it was not fair to allow Lance to compete because the cancer he had allowed him to rebuild his body "unnaturally."

I am sure accountants around the global will make similar complaints about you and your ability eliminate time sheets.

Ed Kless
Just north of Plano, TX <-- PS this is where Lance is originally from.

M Golden said...

Terrific! Your great news brought "happy tears" to my eyes.

Meanwhile, yes, this whole social media thing where you've gone on record about your drug consumption...well, let's just say you could try Former-President Clinton's approach and insist that you didn't "absorb"...

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

So pleased to hear the terrific news about your progress. The scans are fascinating and it must be great for you to have such visual proof of your progress.

We were delighted to see you at swimming last Saturday - and we all agreed that the 'Armstrong' look certainly suits you. But... please don't start training for any triathlons just yet.

All the best for your next treatment.

See you soon,

John, Wendy and Martin.

Wendy Dumbleton said...

What wonderful news Paul. Well done to you and your magnificent team and family.

With you all the way.

Lots of love xxx

Anonymous said...

:-)
Hey Paul, You're a credit!
Way to go cousin. That "is" progress & liberating news (with visuals to prove it)!!i wanna dance..

Loads of love,& fighting spirit for the next bout.

Thankyou everyone
CatherineXxX,

Tim McKey said...

Hi Paul,

Glad to see, literally, that you are improving. Know we are continuing to pray for you. When you are well, I hope you will visit south Louisiana. I could use your brain with some business issues! Keep the Faith!

Tim

Anonymous said...

..wonderful wonderful news Paul

Your latest blog is A testamony to a "Truth" :The Triumph that is possible through the partnership of Medical Science & the human will.Well Done ..you deserve another hat & gown also we reckon (A Big Big Congrats Laura :-)

Our daily love & support Paul, every second & all the way!
Caring,
ttfn
Mary & family(C/Blayney)xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Pablo!
T'riffic news! So chuffed! Feel like running round the hostel I'm in in Vancouver and showing everyone those before and after pictures! They're amazing! Somehow don't think they'd be quite as ecstatic, but it's looking really really good. And I do think you deserve the congratulations of the doctors. You all seem to be making a great team. Now go out there and keep kicking this cancer's ass!
Hope all the family's well. Liking the new look by the way.
Thinking about y'all
Andy

Graham Martin said...

So, now you really do understand how us 'baldies' get our fair share of the girlies!
Keep it up Paul...you're an inspiration to anyone who simply struggles to get out of bed in the morning!

Thinking of you & your family.

GM x

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

I'm really pleased with the latest round of good news. And the picture of you and Laura is great- my congratulations to her, by the way. Looking forward to seeing you again some Wednesday evening soon.

Cheers

richard@geckos

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear your fantastic news!!

It surely was you doing some of the good work (even not the particularly clever stuff).... so congratulations.

All the best
Wendy O'Donnell

Anonymous said...

Paul

Just had a look at your website - great to hear about your progress - its amazing and the way we know you being strong for everything.

Also a big congratulations to Laura on her degree - please pass this on to her. I can remember my degree ceremony some 20 years ago!

Sorry haven't been swimming - the new house is taking up my time, but will be going to the International at Aarhus, Denmark so will give you news on return.

Keep us posted on this fab website.

Regards

Darren Pallett

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul

Great to see you are doing so well mate. I have to say you are beginning to look a bit hard - like the Goffs Oak version of Vinnie Jones. We in the hood look forward to your return to GOH as soon as possble.

John

Pauline McLean said...

Hey Paul,

I wish was everyone was bald. It would make for such an even playing field. Sending you all the best of wishes and thoughts. It's nearly spring in Melbourne. What is your favourite flower? Never mind, I'll smell them all for you.

Regards

Pauline McLean

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Unc! In Ottawa now (not actually French-specking but nearly!) but still thinking about you all! Hear you're having a big ol' birthday bash before I get back. D'oh! I apologise for my absence in advance!
Hope you've had a good week.
Keep up that positive thinking. I am :c)
Andy

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

I have only just found out your news from Paul Kennedy when I spoke to him about something. So sorry to hear the news but pleased to see your blogs and your fighting spirit.

Thanks to your help our business is going well. The training and advice have gone a long way. I know that you have helped alot of people in this way through OBK and through your voluntary work. How generous of you to now allow us to give something back to you in showing our appreciation of you and our support!

I will be following your blogs from now on

Kind regards
Andrew Bacon