Monday 3 November 2008

BIG update

Social News

So on Saturday 27th of September we held a party celebrating another year and our silver wedding anniversary. (There'll surely be some pics up soon? )


I've rarely had a happier, more joyous evening. In fact it was one of those things that a good two days afterwards I was still beaming with contentment, pride and (I'm very sorry if I forgot to invite you, or you were too far away) but 90 of us bopped, ate and drank and just celebrated being alive. Our children did us proud with a highly entertaining presentation which - we are fairly sure - showed their affection as they laughed with us, not at us and our 25 years together. There were mercifully few other speeches but you could feel the love in the room - it was that tangible! The whole thing reinforced the philosophy we live by: a well-lived life albeit too short, is about strong relationships, mutual support, caring for each other and nothing to do with materialism or the silly targets we set ourselves to chase every day. It was deeply humbling and flattering to have the people we love and respect tell us how much they love and respect us. Life is beautiful!


Since when we have had more friends and family venturing forward to express their love and respect - I wish I had learned and practised that long before. I believe in it: that you change your intent of the way you react to events "stuff out there" in a blink of an eye, but it takes longer to change a habit. This thinking became clear to me on many occasions since we married, and I clearly remember "sampling the atmosphere" at our wedding, at the births f or children, and loving it, but again, a few more samples would have further cemented that wonderful taste. Aaahhhh.


This blogging session will be in three sections - different postings, really - Oh, you've just had one really:


The gently-break it to me medical info, coming up now, then finally. And then because I know a lot of you you like it and like detailed, specific, no-holds barred info, unvarnished info The hardcore medical info:


The gently-break it to me medical info, you probably need to hear no more:

Towards the end of September, I had a CT scan before the end of cycle 2 of the trial drug (6 weeks in) which showed such fast progression that the drug trial was clearly not helping, in fact it might be contributing to fast growth of my tumours, and so had to stop. The alternatives were three: further phase 1 trials, palliative care or more chemo. The consultant immediately started to discuss alternative chemo, which surprised me. I thought we'd be discussing if chemo would be an option rather than which type/cocktail. So we paused and considered if I was actually not well enough to go on another trial drug, that palliative care was always an option, so realistically what would the benefits be of chemo? The consultant said he had fair confidence that there'd be some short-medium term benefits, albeit at a cost of full on-chemo: hair loss, sickness, infections etc, etc. We agree to take a week to think about it and allow some time to see if my bloods/lethargy perked up. I had mixed feelings about the chemo, prior to the meeting with Professor Judson I had resigned myself to "short months / long weeks" of quality of life but was open to the chemo and the Professor has a very good understanding of my desire for quality over quantity of life. Note how this is all my decision - guided by my consultant's extraordinary knowledge and wisdom and his reading of my understanding of the science. In the event the decision kind of made itself as 1 week later my bloods hadn't improved and we all agreed my body couldn't handle another course of chemo without a disproportionate cost to my quality of life. I was outside the protocols of any presently open Phase 1 drug trial: I wasn't well enough to be a candidate to enter on to a new trial. The quality / quantity of life argument was over. The decision was no treatment aimed at curative intent on halting progression. It was to be as comfortable as possible in the remaining weeks or months of life

The hardcore medical info:


So what is palliative care? And for how long? It means symptom relief only, no attempt at cure or even halting progression of the disease. In relation to me this means pain control, learning to keep a baseline of painkillers in my system rather than letting pain take hold and then reacting. Many of you will have heard of Macmillan and their wonderful nurses, and palliative care is what they are so famous for! I am under the care of a Macmillan nurse based in Enfield who is quite frankly marvellous, she tells GPs and even folk at the Marsden to jump, and they say "how high!" Drugs are with us the same day as she prescribes them and she's always checking up on us. The only thing she couldn't do was give me a one-off, high dose, zap of radiotherapy to kill of some nerve endings inside my body. The Marsden could. I had two zaps, one in my left shoulder (a pain problem area) and one on my vertebrae which had been responsible for sending a band of nerve pain around my abdomen. They said it may help, it may not, but even a week later I became convinced it had worked and my pain control was much improved. I've talked about this concept of pain control, ideally there would be no pain because there are sufficient drugs available and long term side effects are not a concern at this stage of the game and we are as close as we can be. I've had to adjust to anticipating pain and taking the appropriate drugs where as before I would wait for pain to take hold before acting. So please don't worry, I'm not writhing around in pain as you may imagine and there are great drugs out there and I have finally adapted myself to pre-empt the pain and rather than the old "brave and stick it out".

Another symptom that needed controlling was fluid retention / build up. In the past few weeks my stomach had become acutely distended: very swollen and pulled tight at the skin. Also, a charming pair of swollen ankles. Last Wednesday, I came back from having my tummy tapped by way of a tube inserted into my stomach and getting that fluid out! I'm pleased to say that my stomach isn't so swollen as around 3 litres of fluid has been drained, plus a further 2-3 litres subsequentlly) and I feel a lot more comfortable for it. So, a bit of a mix bag of a message (and long overdue) but really when people say it's the quality not the quantity, it really is true.

I'm not sure my contentment will truly come across in this blog, but I really am very serene, very happy with life, being surrounded by those who love and care for me. I'm very much lucid and enjoying open conversations with my loved ones about their futures and reminiscing about all the fantastic times we've had together.

Life IS beautiful, and life is for living, so never stop carpe-ing!

Paul

26 comments:

Paul said...

Hey Mate,

Best Wishes...

Eyecandy (Paul)

Http://myeyecancer.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you everyday....
had a great time at your party and I too felt the warmth and love there.
its the most priceless prize to have and to have that in ones lives is the greatest gift, and no one can take that away and is never forgotten.
Lots of love
Sue (womble)

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for finding the time to update your blog. There are so many people out there asking after you and thinking about you.

Your party was the most joyous event and you must feel so very proud of all that you and your wonderful family have and are continuing to achieve.

We, at Halliwick Penguins, do so appreciate your concern for us and the lead you continue to take. We must not let you use too much of your precious energy on us!

Love, John, Wendy and Martin.

Anonymous said...

Well Paul, once again you are inspirational, and I truly mean that. I've been struggling with arthritis and medication etc for a while, but your experiences, and the way you put them across, really have made a difference to me and the way I view things - again!

So much to say to you, but not sure how to word it, so all I shall say is thank you so much for sharing your journey through this with us, and maybe dispelling some myths and fears about this rotten thing.

Keep on carpe-ing
lots of love
Debby M xx

PS. Looking forward to the piccies :-)

Anonymous said...

Paul, what a relief to hear from you! It truly was a wonderful party, you and Daniella have done such a wonderful job with your children, they are such an amazing credit to you both. I pray for you all every day and would like to pop in soon, maybe next week? Will phone first though.

lots of love and hugs etc, etc!

Danuta

Anonymous said...

Best wishes Paul,

If our builders don't send round the gardeners to spruce up our front garden when they're done, I'll lend them your cassettes (with a copyright notice, of course). Please do let us know if there is anything we can do at any time (dklandi@blueyonder.co.uk). Love from Damian and Karen

Gruff said...

It's been a privelege to know you and work with you Paul.

Your courage and spirit is a gift to us all.

Love and respect

Gareth
(Jubilee Hall Clubs)

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,

Just a quick note to say hello and that I am thinking about you.

Regards

Theo

Catherine said...

Dear Paul,

I have been inspired by your way of looking at business and by your enthusiasm for difficult conversations.

I am finding those conversations not so difficult now, sometimes I even relish them!

You have made a difference to my life. Thank you.

I am thinking of you and your family.

Regards,

Catherine Hallgath - Swaab Attorneys

Unknown said...

This must sound the most bizarre comment. It is really not intended to be. But it has been wonderfl to read you candid and irreverant comments. I wish you and your family the very best.

Mc Donnell's eire said...

..Paul,i admire you & your family [ not simply the photos].
we all do & we love you. Thrilled that you came to this soil on a holiday & we miss you already. Re "Big Update" i am taken aback by how very informed & enliGhtened you are (both to your credit)& continue to help us in our blindness & folly.Thankyou for this selfless Generosity.
I am emotionally pulled in so many ways accepting your physical decline,& for all the O Byrnes.
We pray continuously,carinG,
Mum, A Marie, Kate & the extra special BellaXxxX,
Thanks Daniella for the text saying Hi.Love Yo 2 & the kids.XxxX,

Anonymous said...

Paul and Daniella - We were delighted to read of your 25th Wedding Anniversary party. Can't believe its been 25 years since I was at your wedding and you visited Bermuda on your honeymoon! One of my most happiest memories. Mom, Dad and I think of you all often. We were quite distressed to read your latest blog but take great faith at the power of your words, love of life and family and bravery in this battle. Please know we love you and are thinking of you all. Much love, Jill, Aunt Margaret and Uncle Edward Schuck. xoxox

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul and Daniella,
It was an honour and our pleasure to have been on the guest list of your party. The atmosphere was warm, happy and jovial, a great time was had by all - especially seeing you as a family so happy. We think of you and your family every day and admire your courage and honesty. You have taught so many so much, and you focus on what really matters...love.
Paul you will of by now realised that you have been an inspiration to so many.We have listened to you carefully and are going to do as you have so rightly said...("tell people what you think, while you can")Paul, along with just about everyone you know,"we love you."
Lots of love Pete & Nina

M Golden said...

Paul, words cannot describe how meaningful it was to spend time with you and your family this week. I think it is important for you to know the depth of which you have achieved a goal of yours. You absolutely have changed the world significantly for a lot of people, in a lot of ways, all around this world, and you changed it even more for me this week. I feel so blessed to know you.
love and hugs,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Mate
how lucky was I to spend 3 whole days with you and your wonderful family recently.
We reminisced,we laughed,we ate,we drank,we told stories,we shed a few tears but mainly I was just so pleased to see you again and to be part of your family for a short time.
In 3 years you have taught me more than most people learn in a lifetime.
Karen and I are so proud and priviledged to be your friends.

All our love to you, Daniela, Laura,Kate,Luke and Frankie

John and Karen Chisholm

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul

So sorry I haven't been able to come to see you.

Thinking of you all the time

Lots of Love
Aunt Clare xxx

Tim said...

Hi Paul,

You have had, and continue to have real influence on those around you. Your influence also extends to those of us who are not around you and, in fact, know you only superficially. But the influence is ,none the less, positive.

Here is to wishing you the best...now and for always. I continue to pray for you and your family.

Tim McKey

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

I have spent the last 25 minutes trying to decide if I should write something or not. But then I thought, what would you do?

I know I don't even really know you that well, all I did was an MBA course with you last year. I hoped I would get a better understanding of my business and how to improve it - but, I came away having learnt a great deal more than that!

All I wanted to say was Thank You. You have made me look at life in a totally different way and to enjoy what it has to offer.

Without wanting to sound to "American" (sorry USA, but you know what I mean!), it's been a privilege to have been taught by you and you have made a REAL difference to my life.

Thank you, James Brown

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul
Thinking of you all the time you are an inspiration to us all.I hope you are very comfortable love to Daniela Laura Katie Luke & Frank
Love always
Anne Tarlach Hannah & Matthew

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

Congratulations to you and your family on your Silver Anniversary.
So glad you had such a wonderful celebration.

I have been following your honest and moving postings in awe and am often thinking about you.

Hope you are keeping that quality optimized!

Love and best wishes

John McGinley
+pp Shelagh, Laurence

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul
Just read your Nov. blog. I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that you are a truly exceptional person in your outlook on everything from your work committments, family and the important things in life. Puts my petty anxieties such as when will I ever finish decorating the back room...in their place! To be so positive when you are sick. I don't know where you get the energy from to keep writing such comprehensive and touching reports. Anyway I'm glad you do it. Must go time running out on this PC at the library.
PS you also weren't such a bad cyclist either!!
Cheers, John C.

Anonymous said...

Paul

I'm pleased you highlight the fundamental importance of a loving caring family and friends. Nothing better. With that going for you, you need bugger all else mate.

Keep going, keep laughing and enjoy this life.

John Nugent

Anonymous said...

Dearest Paul

Was great to talk to you the other day. Was so sad to hear that you are so poorly again but amazed and energised by your strength in adversity.

I enjoyed meeting John and can see that he has a great talent.

Our deepest best wishes to you and your family.

All our love and God speed

Sara and Jamie

Anonymous said...

Paul,
There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said a thousand times on your site. I can, however, concur that you have been a colossal inspiration to all of us and that your strength and courage has spread far beyond your immediate family and friends. You're never far from my thoughts and I can't begin to thank you enough for the support (and back catalogue of books!) you've given me while I transform into one of those 'arty types'.
Love, respect and positive thoughts,
Jon Maguire
x

Anonymous said...

Paul,

we are all thinking of you and your family, and inspired by your courage.

Based on your message, we tried to give blood in the USA but they only accept citizens! We will make a double donation to the NHS when we get back.

The Knight Johnson
Chicago

C donnelly said...

Hallo Paul,
A voice from the past. We heard your name mentioned at church in Arnos Grove today, and we both thought of you. I have read your blog with interest. You and your family are a lesson to us all.
Celia and John Donnelly xx
(margaret bakers daughter and John your ex class mate)