Monday 21 July 2008

Back to me...

After Katie and Luke hogging the recent headlines (Daniela, Laura and Frank are doing fine, too) it's time to come back to me!

I have been so well this year. I was especially delighted to be well the whole time I was in Australia - the last few days that I forgot to report on, finishing up with a few talks in Sydney, were equally great. I particularly enjoyed the first run of a new session I called "Difficult conversations" - I've had a few of them this past 14 months! I've been running more, swimming and looking to enter a triathlon or two (short ones) maybe in September. We've got a holiday planned for all six of us to be together, modified slightly because Luke isn't allowed in pressurised aircraft cabins yet. I've been doing more work - such that people at O'Byrne and Kennedy actually recognise me again now! Also, and I only realised this in retrospect, people were starting to treat me like an ordinary person again, by which I mean the sympathetic look and tone of voice was definitely abating. I mean no criticism of anyone here; but I now realise the three weeks in Oz was a watershed - an end to the days of being a chemo patient and a fresh start to life as normal.

I know by now that many of you will share in our delight in all this, and I am flattered that it cheers you up, too. Hold that happy feeling, because I have some news.

Not good news. But I have always said I'd tell you like it is, so if you only like good news, look away now.

I had a scan two weeks ago and have now had confirmed that the tumour in my adrenal gland has grown over the 12 weeks since the previous one. Doubled, in fact, so it is now 9.5cm x 10.0cm. One particular lesion in my liver has also more than doubled to 3.9cm x 1.5cm. This is especially surprising as I have felt perfectly well, look well and have been symptom-free. The big tumour has extended into my spleen and into the top of my left kidney and I'm starting to feel some pain in my back again.

I knew from my early researches last May that starting off ("presenting" as the medics have it) with a large tumour that has already metastised meant that five-year survival was unlikely. But I did hope for a bit longer without progression, because that does nothing to improve the odds. Anyway, I'm adjusted to it now and looking forward to the new treatment - mostly because it's not chemotherapy and has almost no side-effects! It's a so-called targeted therapy a monoclonal antibody, similar to Herceptin for breast cancer. As I understand it, these clever things are developed to attack just cells that look like the particular cancer cells. My sarcoma ones look like certain insulin growth receptor (IGF-1R) cells and they have a new enemy CP-751,871 - so new it doesn't even have a proper name yet. So I am in a Phase I trial which means it's an unproven remedy, I start next Wednesday 30 July, I think, and I will be monitored very closely every two weeks that I go for the outpatient treatment.

I remain well, quite fit and upbeat and I hope the trial drug stabilises or even reduces my cancer. (But if I owe you money or a favour I suggest you remind me about it soon.)

Keep smiling and grabbing each day!

Paul

5 comments:

Mc Donnell's eire said...

Flash Lamp!
..go for it Paul & thanks for
your honesty. (na!i. o. u.).
Loking forward to you & all the crew sharing holiday time in Ireland with us. glad the new treatment has none of the "extremely" horrid side effects.CarinG about you all. loads & loads of love, daily
Catherine,Mum & Ann Marie xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, At the library (cycled the 0.5 km there & witnesses to prove it!)where I've just finished catching up on your last few months of blogs. Exhausted already! What a disorganised no-hoper I am compared to your super-focused self - shades of Lance A. Right now I should be knocking out bricks inside an old fireplace at home on "Project GF back room redec", which started back in, er, February....but juggling with other important stuff like T de F on telly. I know you understand, and all that (PS any P/T jobs going in your firm for a fellow cyclist to earn a bit of pin money? Return favour for the times when I might have pushed you up a hill?I can start early around 11am and work late shifts to 3.00pm. Plus I only take 60-min lunch-hours. And do you supply staff with a rest room & telly for tea breaks? Great firm, I hear, Kennedy & O'Burnups. You'll think (very positively) about it maybe...? maybe not..??).
It was great to see you and all the family at your dear mum's funeral. Look forward to her sandwiches up there when my turn comes (english mustard [or irish version] on the ham please!). You've probably heard that Stefan Z is coming over & staying at Dan's 7th/8th/9th January when a St Chris reunion is on the cards. Many congratulations to Katie and Luke on their respective academic and health achievments. But must go now and take a brick out.Hope the bike outside hasn't been pinched.
Wishing you, Daniella and all the family well. And please also remember to say a special hello to Edward from Marian.

Great blogs!
John C.

Anonymous said...

Hi uncle paolo,

just been updated on all your news- bugger! is all i can say. great news about being accepted on the trial though.... have a fantastic holiday in ireland (lots of chatting to be expected if the state of dad's voice is anything to go by!!!) hopefully catch up with you all when you're back

anne x

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, read your news at the weekend and am sorry it`s not good,but keep up beat and I will continue to pray every day that this new trial drug does it`s job to perfection! We are about to go away for a couple of weeks and hope you also enjoy your trip to Ireland. look forward to catching up with you and Daniella when we all return.

love and lots and lots of prayers

Danuta x

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect webpage for anyone who would like to understand this
topic. You know so much its almost tough
to argue with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa).
You certainly put a brand new spin on a subject which has been written
about for a long time. Wonderful stuff, just excellent!



my web blog ... Size Genetics Review