Thursday 20 December 2007

Chemo delayed, Christmas isn't

I came into the Marsden for cycle 3 of regime 2, but instead am back on antibiotics. Latest word is I'll be home for Christmas, but will have no time for Christmas shopping. Result!

Trouble is that when I came in for one of my infamous week 2 infections on 7th December, the first cannula I had fitted was painful and after just one shot of IV became blocked and unusable. So I was fitted with another, and after 4 days of general IV antibiotics, and after my temperature came down and my white blood cells bounced back (they had all but disappeared) I was sent home with 4 days worth of oral antibiotics. As soon as I finished them, I developed a painful, angry-looking swelling at the site of that first cannula. I was persuaded (thanks, Dear) to go to the hospital and get a doctor to have a look and came away with some more, specific antibiotics. That was last Friday (and I sneaked in a CT scan due the following week), by Monday it was no better, in fact a bit worse. So I went up again and got some ointment, too (and sneaked in the routine blood tests ahead of the chemo due on Wednesday). The doctor was interested to see if my white cells were high (as if!) which would indicate an underlying general infection not just localised to my arm. They were bang on my base level, so back home.

Wednesday in for chemo but the admitting nurse didn't like the look of my arm and declined to cannulate me, suspecting I wouldn't be fit for chemo. Much deliberation and inspection followed and I am now in for maybe 3 or 4 days (was expecting chemo to last 24 hours) on the strongest IV antibiotic they've got. No question of feeding me poison while that's going on, so chemo will be - at the time of writing - between Christmas and New Year.

A little setback but not the end of the world, there's always someone worse off. In the bed opposite me today, a 19 year old was told bad news about his multiple stomach tumours and in the bed next to me an older man was told all the medicines available have been tried and his tumour continues to grow. They'll try and "make him comfortable". I've got a sore arm, and a disruption to my plans. Oh, and I've been told the CT scan shows more movement in the right direction - I'll try and upload it as soon as I've seen it.

Count your bleesings and seize the day!

Paul

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Glad to hear that this way round you should now be able to enjoy Christmas before your next chemo, rather than have 'Week 2' looming over you.

We are all still routing for you.

Tony, Maggy, Anne, and Andrew.

P.S. I don't think there's that many of us blokes that would go to the extreme you did to avoid Christmas shopping!! TOB

Anonymous said...

It's incredible but as you illustrate there is ALWAYS someone worse off than yourself.

We have Luke coming out to Maraetai tonight, he'll be having a pre-Christmas dinner here before jetting off home to spend Christmas day with you in England. I'm sure this Christmas will be very special for all of you.

Have a very merry Christmas!

Louis, Karen, Elizabeth and James.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Good news and bad news but you sound in a positive frame of mind. Look forward to seeing the scan pictures.

Have a lovely Christmas.

Love to you and your family.

Justine, Lee, Eva and Oscar xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

It sounds as if you are on quite a roller-coaster at the moment. We were so pleased to hear the really excellent news that the scan is looking good.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas - and keep wearing that cute red hat. I reckon you really are a GOONER, in spite of all your denials!

Love from John, Wendy and Martin.

Mc Donnell's eire said...

....thats alot of pills Paul.
Looking forward to the scan pics.
Merry Christmas sir,You're a cracker!
Rooting for you
From the 3 wiser women.Thankyou!
Love you & to Daniela & the family.
Bonne Fete
Mum,AnnMarie & Catherinexxx

Anonymous said...

Paul, With Tony and Edward at the moment and I am looking at your blog live on screen for the first time. Only seen print outs before! Glad to hear the anti-biotics are working hard for you.
Looking forward to coming to you, Daniela and family and help you eat the turkey on Christmas Day.
Chin up and keep taking the tablets!!
with my love as ever, Mum
P.S. My best wishes also, Edward

Newfie Dave said...

HI Paul, just checking you will be out in healthy Week 4 buying Daniella and the family lots of presents in the January Sales!
have a special Christmas, thinking of you all.
Lots of love Dave and the Fishers

Anonymous said...

HI Paul have a very happy christmas and may 2008 be a positive one Keep up the great work. Love to Daniela & family
love
anne tarlach hannah & matthew

Anonymous said...

Good to hear the encouraging scan news.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

((((((hugs)))))) and stuff
Deb M x

Unknown said...

Great to hear from you again.

Hope you enjoy this Christmas qith all your family. So Luke´s going home to spend holidays with you?? I supouse you are very happy, even though you still are with the Chemo session.

Please send my regards to all the family. Also to your brithers's and mother and Danielas family.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

LOVE YOU ALL, MARIANA

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Sending you, Daniela and the family lots of love at Christmas and hoping 2008 will be good to you.
Love The Doyleys

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul

Delighted to hear such great progress is being made. Your positive attitude is inspirational!

kindest regards


Mark Allen