Friday 15 June 2007

Initial announcement about Paul's health

Dear all

I know I don't write much (but Hey, I talk a lot!) but there's something I need to tell you. Sorry about the impersonal method of a blog posting, but I'm sure you'll understand.

I've not been feeling well since I came back from my two weeks in Australia in March 2007. I mostly put it down to doing too much on that trip; it was jam-packed.

Anyway I've been to my family doctor practice a few times and three weeks ago I got impatient and found a consultant who gave me some tests (failed!) and referred me for an ultrasound scan...then a CT scan.

The CT scan confirmed that I have advanced renal cell carcinoma with metastasis (secondaries) in my liver. Not good.

Not at all good. My right kidney is doing sterling work on its own but some of my liver function is badly impaired. Everyone is surprised how advanced it all is given I have none of the classic kidney problem symptoms. They say I'm special! So special, neither surgery nor full-on chemotherapy was on offer. Instead, I was told I'd be starting a drug treatment, Sutent, that is aimed at getting me into remission and holding there.

Mid-May I heard I got approval for Sutent to be provided on the National Health Service - hooray for them - it's a drug costing thousands of pounds a month. But unfortunately while I've been waiting to get that approval, various of my blood tests indicated that the kidney cancer may not be the primary source. So I have had a liver biopsy and it too indicates, but doesn't prove, I may have Ewing's carcinoma. (Guilty secret: I did watch a lot of Dallas in the seventies!) The treatment for that is chemo which would be compromised by Sutent. So, eight weeks after initial diagnosis, I'm still taking pain-killers, but thinking I may need something a bit stronger! This week I've had a bone marrow biopsy and bone mass scan, then a prolonged kidney function test and heart function test. I going in Friday 15 June for all the results and expecting to start treament really hope to know what I've got and get started on treatment; they've told me to bring in my jammie-jams*.

Apart from that, I'm very well! I look well; I feel very positive and energetic and am looking forward to a reasonable quality of life once I get used to the drugs / chemo. I've always followed a carpe diem philosophy—waaaay before it was fashionable. This has happened, what matters now is how I deal with it. I'm choosing to be determined to do what I want and not be a victim. Strong-willed I call it (my wife says: stubborn)

I decided from the start that once I told my family (also magnificent) I would be very open with everyone about all this and hope they don't (to use an accounting term) write me off. Obviously, as I have no clues at present how I am going to be, when I might be back fit after the initial effects and what will happen long-term. But I really want to continue doing what I have come to love these past seven years: travelling all over and engaging with fellow professionals and helping them change their way of working, to the benefit of themselves, their firms and their clients as we have done at OBK. And continue with my Halliwick teaching swimming to people with disabilities that I've been doing these past 30 years.

I'm enjoying time with my family and friends - and greatly appreciating the letters, cards, emails and calls from many whom I haven't seen for a while. Thank you very much. As you would understand, it's hard to respond to them all, and indeed there are times when taking a lot of calls is hard on me and Daniela. So why not subscribe to this blog and then you'll keep updated - but do keep writing!

Sorry to write at such length, but I want to be honest—and I don't want to be written off before my time.

Below are links to "subscribe" - so you'll be told when new things are posted - and comments and email a blog post to someone else. Feel free to do so - or not.

Don't be shy to say Hi!

Paul


*PS: the reference to jammie-jams reminds me of a joke a best friend just re-told me from our school days: What's pink and wrinkly and hangs out your pyjamas? Your Mum!

(No, it's not too early to joke)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such great news! This sounds like a really good "project" and we know how Paul likes a project with some meaningful planning and a real goal at the end. Right up his street, then !
We think of you often Paul and imagine you pushing at the edges and re-designing the health service while you are there, just as an aside, so good to be included in this blog, to be included in the journey.
best wishes, Debra x

Unknown said...

Paul...
Everything sounds like it is going well. I have to admit I was pretty shocked when Dad forwarded me the email regarding your illness, as I'm sure you were when you were told the news. I have enjoyed the updates through Dad! I am still trying to convience the family to get over to London sometime in the near future! I will be sure to give you a call whenever we make it happen. Good luck with everything. Keep your spirits up and know that I am praying for you daily!
Sarah Mckey

John Donnelly said...

Paul - you look lovely in blue dahling and at last a friend who will listen to your riveting talk on 'Tax effective discounted downside digital development and the incomplete art of management bollocks'.
So Mr Ironman let me tell you about my pal Julian who has turned a 6 month prognosis into 7 years and going like a train - he is relentless, funny and aggressive ...so no problems with you applying these tools then?
Pip Pip from John Donnelly (two couches no waiting)